Re: [Phys-l] Thermal mass

On 2011, Apr 23, , at 12:36, Karshner, Gary wrote:

One demonstration or experiment is to compare the cooling times of water and another liquid -say glycerin. Put a beaker of both in a water bath remove and let the students follow the dropping of the temperatures. The glycerin should cool about twice as fast as the water. Of course the high specific heat of water is why everything from "the watched pot never boils" to why the coldest days of winter or hottest of summer are solstices, etc.
Gary

We've ignored change of state. I suggest adding cooling of something that solidifies, such as solder.

bc

p.s. the purists can use water in a freezer.