Re: [Phys-l] Thermal mass

One demonstration or experiment is to compare the cooling times of water and another liquid -say glycerin. Put a beaker of both in a water bath remove and let the students follow the dropping of the temperatures. The glycerin should cool about twice as fast as the water. Of course the high specific heat of water is why everything from "the watched pot never boils" to why the coldest days of winter or hottest of summer are solstices, etc.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of brian whatcott
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:51 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Thermal mass

It's a pity that none of your pointers seemed functional. We have a
school house at Duke - within ten miles - that is an Earth-insulated
design - and this seems to work pretty well, as far as I have heard.

The idea of limiting the thermally conductive paths to the variable
ambient, and interposing thermal mass
(mass times specific heat) for irradiation at the preferred temperature:
a southern day exposure when solar heating is desired, a night exposure
when cooling is wanted, along with passive or active ways of sharing
this resource with the inhabited volume. I suppose nucleaar
infiltration is a concern...

Brian W