Re: [Phys-l] Thermal mass

On 04/23/2011 06:00 AM, Dr Holly Priestley wrote:
For our next meeting we are asked to try and find laboratory experience/s
that deal with thermal mass

1) The "thermal mass" is more appropriately called the _heat capacity_.
The study of such things is called _calorimetry_.

2) Using the conventional terminology is a virtue unto itself.

3a) Sometimes virtue is its own reward. If you google for things like
http://www.google.com/search?q=heat-capacity+demonstration
http://www.google.com/search?q=heat-capacity+science-fair
http://www.google.com/search?q=styrofoam+calorimeter

you can find hundreds of experiments and demonstrations.

3b) Note that the calorimeter can be used to measure various things
other than heat capacity. That is, you can use its calibrated heat
capacity to measure other things. For example:
-- It can be used as a bolometer to measure how much solar energy
is absorbed under various conditions.
-- Conversely it can be used to measure how much energy is lost to
evaporation under various conditions.
-- et cetera