Re: [Phys-l] Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?

Folks,
I feel obliged to give a single incident comment to the discussion.

Both my parents were immigrants to this country from Germany in the late 1920s. My dad was a barber and my mother a very recent graduate, both from the German counterpart of high school. Any education beyond that point was accomplished by reading and conversation. Money was extremely hard to come by with my dad getting half a buck for a shave and a haircut. They were so intent on an education for their only son, they found the money to send me to a boarding school with great educational references. But while I attended public school, they shepherded and mentored me and were always at school meetings. Regardless of low finances they were bound and determined that I get what they didn't. I managed, with their impetus, to get an AB Physics, MS Ceramic Technology and a PhD in Materials Science. I had marvelous teachers in the 3 years of high school, but with parents doing everything in their power for me to succeed the education was bound to take.

It isn't directly poverty that results in poor eduction. Nor is it great teachers that rescue good kids from poverty. It takes parents with the will to have the child succeed.

Excuse the maudlin aspects. I am damned proud of what my folks did for me.

E.C. Muehleisen

Too much of a good thing is wonderful!