Re: [Phys-l] crutches versus shoes

How anachronistic. Most students simply go on "PhysicsForum" and ask others to supply the answer.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of chuck britton
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:11 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] crutches versus shoes

At 9:15 PM -0400 4/18/11, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
Do we want our students to solve a problem like this?:

A train traveling from New York to Chicago is moving at 110 km/h when
the
engineer sees a stalled car near the track ahead. The train brakes to
halt in 1.2 min with a constant deceleration, stopping just next to
the
car. How far was the train from the car when the engineer first
applied
the brakes?

My students would read the problem and say:

OK, I need to find the area under the velocity-time graph that I have
just sketched here on my paper.
The base is 1.2 minutes and the height is 110 km/hr.
The area is 1/2 (1.2 minutes) x ( 110 km/hr) = 66 km minutes / hour.

Then they would clean up the units - having already shown the physics
involved.

(Well, I remember a FEW who would have done it that way ;-) )