[Phys-l] 'The 'Teacher Effect' - Response to Hansen #2

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in discussion-list post "The 'Teacher Effect' - Response to Hansen #2" [Hake (2011b)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students 'Academic Gain?" [Hake (2011a)], Math-Teach's Robert Hansen wrote (paraphrasing):

"Is there a complete high-school assessment endorsed by PER [Physics Education Research]? The FCI [Force Concept Inventory] assesses only one component of physics and I think that keeps people, especially physicists, from getting too excited over normalized gains on the FCI."

Hansen is either dismissive or oblivious of the fact that PER is concerned with (a) students' conceptual understanding, (b) students' ability to solve non-algorithmic problems, and (c) at least 10 other capabilities listed in this post. I suggest over 30 references to the PER literature that might reduce Hansen's confusion.

To access the complete 24 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/eh6sge>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"The premium so often put in schools upon external 'discipline,' and upon marks and rewards, upon promotion and keeping back, are the obverse of the lack of attention given to life situations in which the meaning of facts, ideas, principles, and problems is vitally brought home."
John Dewey (1916)

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 14 April 2011 and shortened by <http://bit.ly/>.]

Dewey, J. 1916. "The Nature of Realization or Appreciation" in "Democracy and Education: an Introduction to the Philosophy of Education," online at <http://bit.ly/evICPb>, Chapter 18, Educational Values, Section 1.1.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/g6UWUZ>. Post of 7 Apr 2011 17:51:59-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ifvkSz>.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "The 'Teacher Effect' - Response to Hansen #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/eh6sge>. Post of 16 Apr 2011 13:43:41 -0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/efQg1g>.