Re: [Phys-l] Another from PTSOS

Paul makes a good point about materials in the pool. I forgot to say that in addition to the large cardboard we give them a 10X12 sheet of 4 mil plastic. This is to keep the cardboard dry - but bad designs happen and people go in the water.

Our pool person really likes this event. He stations a couple of his lifeguards next to the pool with long handled nets to catch the errant piece of duct tape. That also gives us protection if a student gets in trouble in the pool. One really needs a pool manager who is totally on board with this idea and will go the extra mile to make the event a success.

Bob at PC
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Lulai [plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us]
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:42 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Another from PTSOS

I do this with a few differences.
First, each lab group must put in 1 group member in the boat.
All boaters must wear both a swimsuit and a dark colored t-shirt.
The boat can not be made of a standard floatation device.
The boat must be designed to have an appropriate center of gravity.
The boat must be designed to hold 1.5 x the weight of the boater. The calculations must be shown.
Absolutely everything they put in the pool they must take out of the pool. Cardboard is not allowed.

Our pool maintenance guy hates this. He claims the adhesives and other materials apparently cause some trouble with the chemical balance.

I need to find appropriate materials, so I can continue doing this. Kids love it. They apply some buoyancy calculations and need to think about center of gravity and other things.
It is a source of enrollment growth too.

Paul Lulai (where i regret that B.C. will get this note a second time due to my inadequecies in mobile phone abilities).
Physics Teacher
St Anthony Village S.H.
3303 33rd Ave NE
St Anthony Village, MN 55418