Re: [Phys-l] What are your answers for this teacher?

_____

From: Boyd Weiger [mailto:weiger.science@gmail.com]
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Sent: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 15:34:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] What are your answers for this teacher?

Let me throw this into the mix...

Here's the MN Academic Science Standard
<http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Academic_Excellence/Academic_Standards/Science/index.html>
for Newton's 2nd Law for the physical science course:
9.2.2.2.2 - Explain and calculate the acceleration of an object
subjected to a set of forces in one dimension (F=ma).

So if I use standards-based grading, and a student is unable to meet the
standard due to lack of algebra skills, am I assessing the standard or
am I assessing the algebra skills?
If algebra skills are even reasonably likely to be their own separate issue (super-likely, for most of our students - or maybe all), then you should evaluate them as a separate standard. Being able to set up the net force equation and knowing that you should solve for whatever you're looking for addresses the Fnet standard. Not knowing how to factor, so that you didn't actually accomplish the desired solution addresses the algebra standard. One or the other or both can be great, mediocre, or deficient. One of the points of SBG is that your feedback is specific: Jim can assess the physical scenario, ID the forces, and set up the Fnet equation? Great. Jim can't solve his way out of a paper bag? Not great. Scoring them separately lets the kids, tutors, and parents know where the real problem is.

You can't get around some implication here, but an appropriate amount of splitting these into reasonably small standards is very useful.

It looks like you're looking at a state standard list. These aren't usually worth much. Write your own.

jg