Re: [Phys-l] implied standards

On 04/09/2011 12:34 PM, Boyd Weiger wrote:
So if I use standards-based grading, and a student is unable to meet the
standard due to lack of algebra skills, am I assessing the standard or
am I assessing the algebra skills?

Both. Don't worry about it.

Some things appear in the standards expressly; others are implied.

The implied requirements are no less real than the expressed requirements.

==============

By way of analogy, in US constitutional law, there are expressed powers
and implied powers. The government has the expressed power to establish
post offices (Article I section 8). It has the implied power to print
postage stamps, even though stamps are not expressly mentioned anywhere in
the constitution. There are some folks who make a point of not understanding
this point. Evidently they never got as far as reading the last line of
section 8.

Einstein said "An education is what remains after you have forgotten
everything you learned in school."

As I understand it, that is a way of saying that the implied stuff is
actually more important than the expressed stuff. For more on this, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thinking.htm