Re: [Phys-l] Geiger counter

On 2011, Mar 29, , at 11:51, Mark Sylvester wrote:

to monitor the surprisingly high beta countrate that
you get from a cotton pad after drawing air through it with a vacuum
cleaner for a few minutes... presumably due to ionised bismuth and lead
isotopes in the radon 222 decay series, that get stuck to the cellulose
molecules... well described on the site. It's become one of the standard
labs that we do.

Mark.
UWC Adriatic, Trieste, Italy.

I've read one lab triboelectrically electrifies a filled balloon, then near the end of the lab period vents the air and measures the radiation.

I once folded and compressed my window fan filter (viscose?) pillow batting to measure the radiation. I concluded always using a filter was a very good idea.

bc