Re: [Phys-l] radioactivity in the news -- actual measurements

Elements, such as Cf, Es, Fm, etc. have been synthesized via nuclear reactions induced by heavy ions. Plutonium can also be produced in this way. Yes, very very slowly.

Ludwik
===========

On Mar 28, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Bill Nettles wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 3:50 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] radioactivity in the news -- actual measurements

On 2011, Mar 28, , at 13:20, chuck britton wrote:

I just 'learned' on NPR this afternoon the Plutonium is a fission
product - from the splitting of Uranium in the reactor. (ouch!!!)

Without the fissioning of U, Pu would not result, therefore it is a
product of the fissioning -- even tho it's the result of neutron
absorption.

[Bill Nettles] I disagree with the first half. You could generate neutrons from a spallation process or other reaction [ Be-9 (alpha,n) C-12 or Li-7 (p,n) Be-7] and bombard a U-238 target to make Pu-239, so you don't have to have fission to make it. Also, you can have fission without having U-238 around and avoid making the Pu-239. Yes, while it is NOT a fission product, it is a by- product of having a fission chain reaction in the presence of U-238. You can make it without fission (very slowly).

bc is not going to cheque the dictionary definition to find he's wrong.