Re: [Phys-l] Geiger counter

On 3/28/2011 9:06 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
With the nuclear plant disaster in Japan, I wanted to get a Geiger counter
to show my students. I have an old/yellow deflection type (not sure it
even works). I am looking for a "modern" one, relatively small, with audio
clicks, and maybe a digital display. Does anyone know of "good" models on
the market, companies that sell them, and approximate costs?

Here's a record of the background counts at my house, SW Oklahoma,
using an "Old yellow" Model 6b Victoreen survey meter with the thin wall detector open upwards and the audio output taken to a counter.

Pre-Fukushima radiation:
14 counts/minute 12 midnight sat March 19th. (That's relatively quiet.)
11 counts/minute march 20,
12 cpm March 21 at 6:04pm
12.7 cpm at 10 pm tues 22nd march
11.1 cpm at 9:20 pm wednesday March 23
11.1 cpm at 11:30pm (125 min average) saturday march 26th
12.0 cpm sunday 9 pm march 27th.
13.8 cpm monday 11:48 am March 28th.

Brian W