[Phys-l] Reactors in Japan

Japanese nuclear physicist friend wrote (today 2/16/2011) that they keep feeding "every reactor" with pure and sea water. They also see steam clouds ejecting from #2 and #3 reactors. But they do not worry about a “nuclear explosion” as in Chernobyl."

"However, to confine radioactivity of stored FPs inside fuel-sheaths (zircaloy) we need to continue cooling to minimize the release-and- diffusion to environment. Hydrogen gas was thought to be produced by the interaction between high-temperature zircaloy and steam. I think the situation will get to better and safer side day by day, in gross view."

Ludwik

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html