Re: [Phys-l] Eartquaque in Japan

On 2011, Mar 14, , at 09:34, Bill Nettles wrote:

I have never understood why the electrical supply for nuclear power plants must come from off-site grid. Yes, in general, run them on the off-site grid, but allow the possibility to shift to local generation rather than depending on diesel generators which get scheduled, but short term testing. From what I've read, the diesels operated for about an hour, then failed. Yeah, that's not surprising when they've never been run for over an hour.

this may be already duplicated, and couldn't resist. -- I've been tortured at the UCSF Dental School al day.

The diesels failed because they were inundated by the Tsunami, and

2, then they switched to battery for about 4 => 8 hr. I understand (a) diesel(s) was brought in, but they couldn't connect it -- strange.

bc