Re: [Phys-l] Torque and wrenches

The internal 'ratchet' has a fixed radius that doesn't change when you change the socket.

.
At 4:37 PM -0500 3/14/11, Paul Lulai wrote:
Hi.
I've got a lack of understanding regarding torque wrenches.
My understanding is that torque is the product of the force and radial distance of the force.
Torque wrenches will stop turning / start ratcheting when the torque is higher than the settings on the wrench.
My question is, at what radius does the torque wrench measure the torque? Is the radius that of the bolt head? If the radius is that of the bolt head, would simply changing the head of a torque wrench (and the bolt you are using) affect the actual tightness of a bolt?

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St Anthony Village S.H.
3303 33rd Ave NE