Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] amazing instruments

Clark Planetarium in downtown Salt Lake City has a working mechanism like
Bob L. described. The bottom of the mechanism is on the 2nd floor and the
wire track, loops, sound devices, etc. extends up into the third floor. An
electric motor is used to continuously lift the returning balls to the top.
There is an interactive component that allows visitors to affect the motion
of the balls that travel on the mechanism. I have been to the planetarium
three times and there are always youngsters interacting and watching the
mechanism. I usually have to wait to have a turn!

Greg Clements
Midland University
Fremont, Nebraska