Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] amazing instruments

From the Wikipedia:
"Before the technical innovations of the years 1935 to 1942, the only way to
create a subtractive full-color print or transparency was by means of one of
several labor-intensive and time-consuming procedures."

Painting on slides and pictures was commonly the only practical way to
achieve color before '35. So if by color you mean the images are colored,
then they were colorized by painting. Indeed well into the '50s many
commercial photographers routinely painted in color to avoid the expense of
color film or paper. But I think by the '60s this had become rare, and may
now just be a service provided because of its novelty. Colorized pictures
are beautiful and do not look like real color photos, but have some feeling
of being a painting.

All other color methods needed 3 photos each with a different color filters.
I am pretty sure that stereo cameras didn't have this, but it was used in
the early Technicolor movies. There were some color photos as early as
1840, and there literally was a holographic true color process used by a few
photographers in the 1800s. Disney's earlier movies were all Technicolor
process so the color has not faded and can be restored. Actually the
earliest Technicolor process was a 2 color system and was slightly deficient
in blue so skies looked wrong. But they "fixed" this by separately strobing
a blue light to flood the screen with blue between frames. Somehow the
brain picked up on it and skies were again blue. The marvels of eye fooling
trickery!

Why not put the glass slides on the web. They would be appreciated on
archive.org, where I have put some things. They want old photos, movies,
and manuscripts, especially if out of copyright, or posted by the copyright
owners. Everything before '23 is out of copyright in the US.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I have some large coloured glass stereo slides taken by my grandfather
(ca 1915).

A commercial photographer claimed they were painted over. I'm not
convinced.

bc