Re: [Phys-l] amazing instruments

The fakery was purely in the E-mail message. When I clicked on the YouTube video the second rated comment was:

"It's a pretty awesome video, really accurate animation. I appreciate the preciseness and effort put into the video.. wish it was real tho."

It also says it "contains content from Animusic". So the YouTube video was apparently not intended to deceive. But then people send around power point presentations purportedly real photography which had been considerably photoshopped, and pictures from Russia with buildings from everywhere but Russia.

It always pays to investigate before sending things on. It is sort of like the sideshows with real stuffed two headed calves next to artistic taxidermy. Real life is often stranger than fiction. For example chimeras are individuals where two fraternal twin eggs fused to form one person with two completely different sets of genes, even one known case of a male/female fusion. But these people walk around and appear perfectly normal.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I must say, the thing I find most surprising about this thread is the
repeated mention of "fooling", "fake", "believe", etc.

These animations were _never_ intended to deceive or be taken as "real".
We're just looking at very nicely crafted animations, at least we are if
we give the grainy, fuzzy version on youtube a miss and go look at better
quality clips on the company's website. It's just very cool that anyone
could design such animations -- a whole lot more fun than a single
bouncing ball, I think!

What the individual who constructed the hoax (the _claim_ that these were
videos of real machines) intended, I hesitate to even guess. But that has
nothing to do with the Animusic company.