Re: [Phys-l] light bulbs

One of our instructors does this experiment with a tungsten filament lamp
then a carbon filament lamp plotting V vs I gives a fairly linear curve in
the range of 30 to 110 V. The range 0 to 30 is not linear. Did not go
above 120 V because the filaments burn out. Using the measured resistance
of the tungsten lamp at 20 Celsius and the calculated resistance when at
110 V you get a temperature of 2631 degrees Celsius at 110.

Typical Data for tungsten with a measured resistance of 29 ohms at 20
degrees Celsius:

V (V) I (A)
10 .12
20 .15
30 .178
40 .198
50 .21
60 .22
70 .24
80 .26
90 .277
100 .29
110 .306
120 .32

Typical Data for carbon with a measured resistance of 260 ohms at 20
degrees Celsius:

V (V) I (A)
10 0
20 .1