[Phys-l] summer Modeling Workshops for HS physics, chem, phys sci teachers

(please forward to high school teachers)

ANNOUNCEMENT: MODELING WORKSHOPS
March 8, 2011
Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical science will be held in summer 2011 in many states.

These locations will offer workshops: Tempe AZ, Miami FL, Chicago IL, three cities in Indiana, Ames Iowa, two locations in Kansas, Maine, Detroit MI, central and southern New Jersey, Buffalo New York, Columbus OH, central PA, northern Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Dallas TX, Seattle WA, Spokane WA, and Oshkosh WI.

A Modeling Workshop in 11th grade biology will be held in Tennessee, for teachers in Physics First/Capstone Biology sequences.

Visit http://modeling.asu.edu for details. Click on "Modeling Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2011".
http://modeling.asu.edu/MW_nation.html

NEW! Most Modeling Workshops are described in detail at http://www.ptec.org/pd .

Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Content is reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence. Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work through activities alternately in the roles of student or teacher, as they practice techniques of guided inquiry and cooperative learning.

Modeling Instruction is one of two K-12 science programs designated by the U.S. Department of Education as EXEMPLARY.

Stipends at most sites, usually for in-state teachers.
Graduate credit available at some sites.

Comments by teachers:
* In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching like the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen. (Jane Nelson, retired national leader in physics teaching)
* Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher.
* Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in physics.
* In the one year that I have been modeling, I have seen wonderful results.
* Modeling has changed the fundamental way I teach. I believe eventually, maybe even in our lifetimes, all science will be taught this way.
* We have had 3 physics teachers and 5 chemistry teachers enhance their professional development at your ASU modeling workshops. Modeling has made a world of difference in our science courses.