[Phys-l] good colloquium : improving science education

1) In general, Berkeley puts its colloquia up on the web
http://www.physics.berkeley.edu/index.php?Itemid=223&id=37&option=com_content&task=view

They have dozens of them, going back several years.

Hint: If you aren't at or near some place with a high-class
colloquium series, you should seriously consider watching
online colloquia.

2) I found the most recent one to be particularly good. I wish
everybody could see this, especially every teacher and every parent.

Title: Regent's Lecture: Reach For The Stars
Speaker: Sally Ride

Future rocket scientists aren’t the only ones that need a good
foundation in science and math. In today’s world, all students do --
but our education system is failing them. Nearly two-thirds of 18
year-olds are showing up for college or career unprepared. Fully 80%
of the jobs in the next decade (including basic living wage jobs)
will require technical and analytical skills--and without a grounding
in science and math, today’s students will not be prepared to compete
for those jobs. Dr. Ride will describe her own path into the space
program, and discuss the need to improve science and math education
for all students -- not just future rocket scientists.