Re: [Phys-l] plastic wrap

On 2011, Feb 27, , at 19:03, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I'm teaching electricity soon and have a "basic" question. Plastic wrap
becomes charged (I believe negatively) when it is removed from the roll.
These wraps are supposed to stick to all food containers -- plastic,
glass, and metal. However, shouldn't it stick better to plastic containers
(by polarization) rather than metal containers (which should discharge the
wrap a bit)?

Has anyone tried this as a demo? I know plastic wrap activities I've tried
in class are somewhat challenging as the wrap often sticks to itself
(why??) after is is torn from the roll.