Re: [Phys-l] real-world exercise : AB 306

On 2/27/2011 12:54 PM, John Denker wrote:
//

I have a modest proposal for a real-world assignment.
- Is there a problem with recovering energy from the deflection of
road surfaces by road vehicles.

Interesting question.
Easy to suppose that solar is the only ultimate energy source.
On Earth, it turns out there is another; thermonuclear decays.

We are not having much joy at recreating thermal reactors that
do not threaten to sicken or kill us.
Perhaps a trial of deep Earth thermonuclear decay might be worth while.
Plenty of shielding built in. But still the problem of transporting
the hot medium to our advantage without the dangerous side effects.
All the rest seem more indirect. Solar-electric, wind energy,
wave energy, tide energy. Plant decay. Animal decay. Rock oil.
Vegetable oil. Animal oil.

Brian W