Re: [Phys-l] Interesting Shadows

Yes, I agree it is not Poisson's spot, but there is a halo around the shadow.

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:04 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Interesting Shadows

On 02/23/2011 09:29 AM, Quist, Oren wrote:
In interesting shadow is seen when viewing the shadow on the ground
of an airplane in the air when viewed from the planes. I have seen
this a couple of times from a commercial airliner at relatively high
altitudes. (Poisson's Spot ??).

Yes, it is interesting ... but no, it's not Poisson's spot.

Among the various interesting things you might see are flashes
coming from various cat's-eye reflectors. There are lots of
retro-reflective things out there, including some traffic lane
markers, some road signs, bicycle safety reflectors, et cetera.