Re: [Phys-l] Should teachers blog???

On 2011, Feb 18, , at 20:20, Julie Quah wrote:

Maybe we need to reflect and do a self-check: why are we in teaching in the first place? What is our core business as a teacher? Then we can answer this blogging question more convincingly.
We are here because we are passionate about teaching, we want to nurture each child under our charge. Being kids means they will WILL MAKE DUMB DECISIONS, so as teachers, EXPECT them to make dumb decisions (like behaving inappropriately, not wanting to study.....) and help them become wiser. This is our influence and our call to education. If you expect our sch kids to be angels each time you see them in the classroom, and your job is to just impart academic knowledge and exam skills, then I think your misconception about education is very huge. You really néed to re-think whether this job is for you.

I'd be very interested in a study of teacher attitudes regarding this matter and the "average" behaviour of the students. My supposition is Julie teaches at a school quite different from the blogger's school.

bc