Re: [Phys-l] Should teachers blog???

On 2011, Feb 17, , at 14:09, John Clement wrote:

If teacher's E-mails are public, then legislators E-mails should also
be public. I would favor a constitutional amendment that would make
legislators subject to all laws affecting their constituents, and only
allowing them to have benefits that are given to all of their employees.
Actually this should be enacted for corporations also. So Enron executives
would not be able to dump their Enron stock when the employees are similarly
restricted from doing this.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

You're not serious are you?

We must face it teachers are the displaced anger victims direct towards parents and, I suppose everyone else that can't be attacked. Teachers are blamed for every ill. (I'm just repeating what many on this list and many elsewhere think, I presume.)

You-all don't know about "Rate my Professor"?

One physics prof. sued that site or one similar. The ACLU defended and won. I read his reviews (by the students) and couldn't believe they were writing about my friend. OTOH, I enjoyed much schadenfreude by the reviews of my ex wife. [Believable, of course.]

bc another angry lefty.

p.s. I'm surprised we've so kept on "subject" that there have been no comments on the Arabic student, inter alii, protests.

There is an interesting discussion at:
http://www.edweek.org/forums/education-forums_current-events_guidelines-teac
hers-blog_.0

The initial post is:
Pennsylvania teacher Natalie Munroe made headlines this week when she was
suspended for bashing students on her personal blog. Munroe wrote, among
other things, that one student seemed "smarter than she actually is" and
described another as a "whiny, simpering grade-grubber."

Well, Munroe is blogging again and defending her right to do so. The Central
Bucks East High School teacher never identified the school, administrators,
or students in her posts, and argues that she should be allowed to blog just
like every other person, reports the Bucks County Courier Times. According
to the district superintendent, Munroe is facing the possibility of
termination. Munroe's lawyer told the paper the school had no Internet
policy, and that Munroe may have a First Amendment case.

Do you think teachers should be allowed to blog about school? What kinds of
ground rules would you suggest for teachers who do blog? Should teachers be
measured against stricter standards than people in other professions?

cut