Re: [Phys-l] Another practical problem

Comments?

Bryan means increasing the Q by increasing the mass has no effect. Increasing the Q by reducing the dissipation does,

bc

Begin forwarded message:

As a horologist I distrust anything said about Q because, like Alan H, I am not convinced your application of it to clock pendulums is legitimate. Especially if you're talking about resonance in electrical circuits.

You give a pendulum an impulse.
It swings to the other side.
It's energy is reduced by resistance to it's motion.
The weight of the bob in gravity doesn't matter.

I do not believe anyone has shown a resonance response to clock pendulums. This is exactly the area Alan H is working in and he certainly doesn't believe it.

I still believe this is unproven, undemonstrated, and false: