Re: [Phys-l] perception of variations in hue

If you want to see something that is (a) pretty and (b) weird,
check out http://www.av8n.com/imaging/disk-rays-no-rays.htm

Hmmm. I see rays in both - if by rays you mean a noticeable change in what I would call "contrast," when comparing one side of a radial vector to the other side of the same vector. That is, some areas in the two disks appear to have a smooth change in color, where as others seem to have subtle step changes in color. These step changes, as I call them, although small, are distinct enough to give the sense that there are radial "rays" in each disk.

I note that the rays are not the same in the figures. That is, the disks do not appear identical to me. Possibly that saves me from being a complete failure at this :-)

I'm not sure if this is my eyes, or my [LED] monitor. I *do* see the bright spot in both. I'm not sure I'm seeing what I'm supposed to see though. For example, I would not describe the rays in either as "bright" - merely noticeable.

Do essentially all people see the difference you describe - or just most?

Stefan Jeglinski