Re: [Phys-l] real-world problem and other questions about Car Talk

More on the Car Guys…..

I have been reading the discussion about the gas tank puzzler on Car
Talk and I started thinking about several Car Talk bits that I would
like to have as audio files. These are not particularly funny or
weird bits, but they were outstanding examples of Tom and Ray applying
some basic physics to diagnose a car problem. I think that playing
these files in class or at least having a link to them on my class
homepage would help the students value the knowledge that they are
learning in physics class. The example that comes to mind is one
where an electric component in a caller’s car would work when the car
was first started but then would not work when the car was warmed up.
Tom and Ray explained that electric resistance increased with
temperature. The component was receiving enough current when the car
was cold, but the increase in resistance due to the increase in
temperature reduced the current to below the component’s threshold
operational limit. Does anyone remember this? I looked on the Car
Talk website and they have many years of complete shows but no archive
of specific problems. Has anyone saved audio bits of physics/science
related problems? I almost want to ask Tom and Ray to do an educator
CD for the Shameless Commerce Division. Would anyone else be
interested?

Nikki Malatin
West Caldwell High School

Forum for Physics Educators