Re: [Phys-l] old stuff--battleship momentum conservation.

----- Original Message ----- From: "brian whatcott" <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] old stuff--battleship momentum conservation.

Broadsides are fired under weigh for obvious reasons, and the big guns
are not equally
disposed about the center of percussion. Which leads to a small turning
moment, leading
to sensible track displacement after several seconds.

That is not the explanation given--and the picture I provided is clearly a second or less after the firing. The idea that the water disturbance is due to the pressure wave that spreads outwards but also along that side of the hull makes sense to me. After watching the Mythbuster blow up umpteen things with the explosions filmed in super slow-motion, the pressure waves are often very visible on the high-speed.

Rick