Re: [Phys-l] old stuff--battleship momentum conservation.

Certainly there is a recoil. The USS Phillipine Sea (a carrrier) had an early version of a night landing system. The electronics were based on vacuum tubes. In those days the carriers of our class carried 5" guns for air defense, so we happily put to sea for gunnery practice. During gnnery practice the tubes in the night landing system all shatttered. The year was 1948,
Regards,
Jack