Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

Modelers have found that using graphs and motion maps before equations
improves the understanding and problem solving ability of students. But I
have seen that once equations are introduced first, students become equation
hunters rather than thinking about the problems.

You were unfortunately trying to get them to think after it had been
successfully turned off by previous instruction.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I just had the chance to introduce a graphical approach to some "honors
freshmen" as I was subbing for their absent teacher. I came away thinking
that these same kids who did the equations quite well in the class before,
were not so ready to embrace the graphs. I am wondering whether the
graphical approach is too far up the abstraction ladder.

Ken Fox