To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

"an equation should be acceptable if the student can derive it."

High school freshman are not very good at deriving. The rearranging of a single equation with 3 variables is a challenge for 1/2 of them (seemingly insurmountable for 1/10 of them).
I plan to try the graphical analysis approach and find the relationships in that manner this semester (don't often teach freshman). I suppose this would count as deriving. I don't know how much success (or time would be required) to derive a relationship from multiple other relationships.