Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

A relevant, and eye-opening, link.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

Bill

On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:49 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Who in their right mind, white collar or blue collar, would not want a chance for their kids to escape from the holding pens that our public schools have become? I am sure you heard about our local schools in Central Falls, RI - they have made the national news a number of times. Only a few percent of the students can pass proficiency exams in English and math. These schools should be shut down. Keeping them open as a jobs program for teachers is unconscionable. These kids need an escape route NOW. If vouchers will get them out of there I'm all in favor. We are beyond the point of arguing educational approaches and whether NCLB or other programs are good or bad. Many of the urban schools are simply not working - in any fashion. We can't lose a generation of kids like this. Keeping them locked up in these hell holes is both callous and often racist.

I would recommend reading the companion book for the movie "Waiting for Superman". It's both sad and a real eye opener.

Bob at PC