Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

On Jan 27, 2011, at 1:27 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Is our mission teaching physics or teaching students how to do well solving textbook physics problems? I realize that students have to be able to do this type of problem on exams and standardized tests, but I feel that sometimes there is an undue emphasis on rote problem solving. I think JD alluded to the same idea in an earlier posting.

Our mission has been to do well on standardized tests, and to h--- with critical thinking skills. NOT MY PHILOSOPHY, mind you, but I'm just paraphrasing the philosophy of the politicians and ill-informed who get their "news" and opinions from local tv and radio stations who report poor results on NAEP and PISA and the like, along with state test scores. Meanwhile, I have asked around and found no one who works in any of our top schools nearby where the students took either of these international tests. So, just who took the NAEP or the PISA? If anyone on this list works in a school or knows of a school where students took either or both of these tests please let us know.
It would be great if we emphasize thinking skills and do some "real science" but with a 300 pound gorilla of a textbook to cover, and a public hungry for "results", who has the time?

Marty