Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

If I read you correctly in some ways you are worrying about surface issues and not getting to the heart of the matter, understanding motion. Let me suggest that you look in any of the following places to get some insight into how to move students toward understanding rather than what sounds pretty much like symbol manipulation.

Look that the modeling website at Arizona State.
Look at the AAPT programs at http://www.aapt.org/Resources/
Look at any of Randy Knights books on introductory physics.
There are also resources on the NSTA website.

I don't think there is a quick fix for what you are doing, but these resources may help you reconstruct your approach for the future.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Retired Professor of Physics
Co-Director
Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net