Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

On 1/26/2011 9:05 PM, Rman Towndog wrote:
I'm teaching Physics (Algebra Based), we are learning about kinematics in 1-D.
I have students that have trouble listing knowns and unknowns. I tried to get
the students to learn the units (e.g. speed is m/s, etc), so they would know how
to do this step, but it's been largely unsuccessful. Any tips?

In many every day situations, it is reasonable to say that average speed is given by the distance moved
divided by the time required to travel this distance.
Briefly, we can write speed (m/s) = distance (m) / time (s)
In this sort of equation, there are three variables mentioned.
If we can put numbers to two of the three, we can work out the third variable.

For this example, I expect you are stressing the units in which these variables are framed, but especially how to check that the units equate as well as the numbers. Is that your concern?
Why don't the students learn the units? Units for speed, distance, and time are part of their life experience.

Brian W