Re: [Phys-l] air pressure question

On 1/26/2011 4:12 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:35 PM, William Robertson wrote:
Still doesn't answer my question about the Floogle, as it's called in
some places.
I don't think I've ever heard it called a "floogle" and I can't find any references to that on the web. Apparently you didn't like Frank Crawford's 1974 AJP paper that I referred to a couple of days ago. It is considered definitive on the topic of singing corrugated pipes in many quarters.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

I will say that I passed over this reference, knowing that AJP is a commercial entity whose prices do not attract me. But I am glad that John persisted, for I arrived at another academic source for the same paper.*

<http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/services/refs/refsh/Crawford-SingingPipes.pdf>

*http://tinyurl.com/4f9dpew

En route, I came to realise that the author was from that band of intrepid physics enthusiasts
who love the mundane theophany. (A corrugahorn from a corrugated gas pipe, a liquid hydrogen bubble chanber which led him to an authentic mode for cold fusion at a low rate from incident muons, the rubber (adaptive) mirror etc., etc.)

This paper casually mentions two ways of activating such a horn: out a car window, or by whirling.
Floreat Frank Crawford - 2003

Brian W