[Phys-l] Research on Physics First

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Research on Physics First" [Hake (2011b)].

***************************************
ABSTRACT: In response to my earlier post "Re: Physics First empirical studies" [Hake (2011a)]:

(1) Zahra Sana Hazari wrote: "Check out Sadler & Tai's 'Science' report 'The Two High-School Pillars Supporting College Science' " <http://bit.ly/elkueZ>;

(2) Boris Korsunsky wrote (paraphrasing): I've written two articles on Physics First students' attitudes and expectations for "The Physics Teacher": "Physics First? Survey First!" at <http://bit.ly/f0Is4V> and another that will appear this Spring.

Regarding Hazari's reference, I think Sadler & Tai's claim that their research casts doubt on the advisability of the high-school physics/chemistry/biology sequence of the "Physics First" regime <http://bit.ly/anddW1> is problematic because their reliance on course grades to measure college student learning has been shown to be invalid by research on physics education and on collegiate education generally as described in "Academically Adrift" <http://bit.ly/hOOK09>.

Among recent reports that offer evidence in favor of the "Physics First" sequence are "Squaring the Circle: A Mathematically Rigorous Physics First" [Goodman & Etkina (2008)] and "Effectiveness of Ninth-Grade Physics in Maine: Conceptual Understanding" [O'Brien & Thompson (2009)].
***************************************

To access the complete 15 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/gJIu4i>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"The three-year sequence must include a lot of process in addition to content. How does science work? How did we discover some of these things? Why is science such a universal culture? How do the traits of skepticism, curiosity, openness to new ideas, and the joy of discovering the beauty of nature affect the process of science? Long after all the formulas, Latin words, and theories are forgotten, the process will be remembered. The goal of teachers using the new curriculum would be to produce high-school graduates who will be comfortable with a scientific way of thinking."
Leon Lederman (2001)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 26 Jan 2011.]

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Re: Physics First empirical studies," online on the PhysLrnR archives at <http://bit.ly/iefCMr>. . . [[This URL was dead on 26 Jan 2011 08:23:00-0800 but will probably recover soon]]. . . To access the archives of PhysLnR one needs to subscribe, but that takes only a few minutes by clicking on <http://bit.ly/beuikb> and then clicking on "Join or leave the list (or change settings)." If you're busy, then subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Research on Physics First," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/gJIu4i>. Post of 25 Jan 2011 15:41:08-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also online on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/f5M4GU> with a provision for comments.

Lederman, L. 2001. "Revolution in Science Education: Put Physics First." Physics Today 54(9): 11-12, September; online at <http://bit.ly/anddW1>.