[Phys-l] Endless You and Endless Everything Else

Endless You and Endless Everything Else

This post freely plagiarizes John Gibbon's "In Search of the Multiverse."

Our Universe as a "bubble" in an infinite inflating multiverse would seem
to have astounding consequences based on a proposal by Alexander Vilenkin
and Jaume Garriga. (Hereafter referred to as GV) Of course we can't be sure
that the eternal inflation model correctly describes the origin of our
Universe. But if the eternal inflation model is correct, its implication may
be truly astounding, even upsetting perhaps.

The idea of our Universe as a large but finite bubble in an infinite
eternally inflating multiverse corresponds to what GV call the "Global View" of
the cosmos, in which there is no end to time and no obvious way to match up
the passage of time measured in each bubble Universe with what is going on
outside. Indeed from a thermodynamic perspective, it's not clear the
passage of time means anything in the multiverse which always has the same
overall appearance, on average. But within each bubble Universe any intelligent
observers will perceive a definite beginning of time, corresponding to a big
bang origin.

From the global perspective, new galaxies are constantly being born near
the boundaries of an expanding bubble Universe, and with infinite time to
play with, this means there must be an infinite number of galaxies in each
bubble. There must be just as many galaxies from an internal point of view,
even if it is not technically possible for a single observer to see all of
them. But from the internal point ofd view -- the kind we get from earth in a
Universe 13.7 billion years old-all the galaxies exist at the same time.
In fact from the internal point of view all the Big Bangs form a Cauchy
surface and occur at the same time, 13.7 billions years in any observer's past.
The only way to have an infinite number of galaxies form in a finite time,
is for it to occur in an infinite space. So each Bubble Universe is, from
the point of view of its inhabitants, infinite in size. It is said to be
internally infinite.

In effect, the change of viewpoint means that the infinite time available
from the global perspective in converted to infinite space in the internal
bubble perspective. We have seen this trading of time for space before, in
Einstein's theory of relatively. However, any given observer can only see
as far as light has traveled. This distance encloses what GV call an O
region. ( O for Observable) Even though the Big Bang occurred 13.7 billion years
ago space itself has stretched since that time given an O Region of
approximately 80 billion light years across. The distance is given roughly by;

R= c*int { 0 to t_1} [t/t(0)]^ 0.66 dt

Of necessity each O region is finite in size given the speed of light
restriction. Therefore every observer sits at the center of an O region 80
billion light years across. We might determine the maximum number of possible
Decoherent histories possible in any given O region by using the maximum
Hilbert space dimension based on the Holographic principle, the
Margolus-Levitin theorem and the String-M theory landscape. This gives us

N_hist= exp[ (4*t_dur/h)*int dt S(t)_O *int dt E(t)_O + 1151]

This is a huge number but not an infinite result. Based on the GV proposal
the number of O regions is infinite. A finite number of possible histories
instantiated an infinite number of times creates an infinite number of
every possible entity including you and me. In the multiverse there exist an
infinite number of everything.

Can reality create such an abundance of you and me and everything else
that can exist? According to GV the answer is yes. I will give the closing
words to the Russians Physicist and courageous crusader for Human Rights,
Andreas Sakharov;

"In infinite space many civilizations are bound to exist,
among them societies that may be
wiser and more successful than ours. I support the
cosmological hypothesis which states
that the development of the Universe is repeated in its
basic characteristic an infinite
number of times."

1973 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance Speech

Bob Zannelli