[Phys-l] spectra from flame tests

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to observe the spectra from classic intro-chem flame tests. I tried this morning, with just a simple diffraction grating and, for example, some sodium chloride salt (which glows nicely yellow for the sodium) but was unable to observe any of the sodium spectral lines at all: the yellow was just one big smudge. I thought that either 1) I was missing some more careful method to observe it or 2) that, because of the complexity of the system (sodium, chlorine, methane in the bunsen burner, oxidation, etc...) that the narrow spectra lines get washed out in the interactions.

Anyone ever do it, or, know of a more concrete reason it *won't* work?

thanks,

bb

--
Brian Blais