From: Hugh Haskell <haskellh@verizon.net>
To: betwys1@sbcglobal.net; Forum for Physics Educators
<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Mon, January 17, 2011 1:58:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Electron vs. Alpha particle...

At 14:11 -0600 01/17/2011, brian whatcott wrote:

I see the bright spot
quite often on the ground when flying under a high Sun.

It's also pretty easy to reproduce in the classroom. Put a diverging
lens in front of a laser and put a round-headed map tack (I usually
support it by sticking it in an art gum eraser) between the lens and
the wall so that it casts a reasonably large shadow on the wall. Then
if you turn out the lights, you can see the Poisson spot quite
easily. It is pretty bright.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell