Re: [Phys-l] Will the US ever switch to the metric system?

On 01/14/2011 07:22 AM, Rauber, Joel wrote:
I may be mis-remembering things; but isn't it true that technically
the US is metric? I think since something like 1976;

More like 1893.

The pound and the yard (and hence the inch, foot, mile, etc.) are
defined in terms of the kilogram and the meter ... and have been
since 1893.
http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/metric/upload/frn-59-5442-1959.pdf