Re: [Phys-l] Global Evolution as fact

At 13:06 -0500 01/10/2011, ludwik kowalski wrote:

I already wrote that "atoms" used to be nothing more than products of imagination (theories). And then they were recognized as real things (facts). The same was true with "flying machines," with "talking or seeing over long distances," with "submarines," with "going to the moon," etc. etc.

I would argue that "products of the imagination are hypotheses, rather than theories. To qualify as a theory, an idea must have some factual basis upon which it can rely for support. All of thoses things you mention wee originally hypotheses, but many of them had advanced to the status of theory before they were actually accomplished. Certainly manned flight and space travel had a pretty sound physical basis well before they were actually achieved.

Even if the development of a new species of organism from existing species has not yet been observed (and I'm not at all sure that it hasn't, at some level), there is little doubt among biologists that such an observation is only a matter of time, and that confidence has a pretty thorough grounding in both theory and fact.

Scientists should resist the denigration of the perfectly good and well-defined word "theory" by making it a synonym for "hypothesis." And as I said earlier, "fact" and "theory" are not even in the same branch of the linguistic taxonomy.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org