Re: [Phys-l] Monty Hall problem

On 01/05/2011 11:37 AM, chuck britton wrote:
Interesting development - so,

In what way is this OTHER statement of the problem ill-posed,
ambiguous, underspecified, etc.
The contestants optimal strategy (still) seems clear to me.

I (still) think it would be good for people to look at
the table about 2/3rds of the way down on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
Search for the word "unspecified".

The sheer length of the table should convince you that
"THE" Monty Hall problem is underspecified.

I think you will find that depending details that were not
specified in the question -- or in her original answer --
you will find that her strategy is in *some* cases the
worst possible strategy, i.e. guaranteed to _always_ lose.