Re: [Phys-l] Buoyancy again

This is the way I look at it and am curious to see if it passes muster
(whatever that means).

1. The pressure in the warm blob increases due to the increase in
temperature.

2. The warm blob pushes against the cool surrounding air and expands.

3. Basically, it will expand on top and contract on the bottom (leading
to your rising bubble) and, with a lower density (having expanded) it
will continue to rise. One way to see why is to break down the process
as follows:

3a. First let the warm blob only expand vertically until the pressure at
the surface of the warm block is the same as the pressure of the cool
surrounding air at the surface.

3b. In hydrostatic balance, if the pressure between cool and warm is the
same at the bottom then the pressure cannot be the same above the
surface, since the the densities are different (dP/dz is proportional to
rho*g). That means the pressure at the top of the warm blob is greater
than the pressure of the cool surrounding air (at the same height).

3c. Due to the pressure difference at the top (greater pressure in the
warm blob), the top of the blob expands sideways.

3d. The increased air on the sides increases the pressure near the
surface in the cool air.

3e. Due to the pressure difference at the bottom (greater pressure in
the cool surrounding air), the bottom of the blob contracts.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq