Re: [Phys-l] techshop opportunity

On 1/3/2011 3:36 PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
A long period pendulum clock, w/electromagnetic escapement.
Here's a short period one:
http://www.bmumford.com/clocks/em2/index.html
Interesting. I used to collect clocks, and still have 7 French
mantles, 2 American mantles, and 2 German grandfathers. All 80-180y
old. Think I'm more fascinated with well-built mechanical clocks than
accurate electronic-driven clocks, Mumford's notwithstanding.

I think of more interest to me would be the manufacture of an
interesting/unusual/non-tiny pendulum *structure* that exhibits
unusual (to the lay person anyway) properties, eg, very long period,
or a mix of chaotic/nonchaotic behavior (inspired by the
magnet-driven executive desktop toy, or in a different vein, [1]). I
do have a large high spacious entryway that does nothing but convect
heated air up to warm the 2nd-floor ceiling :-)

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.1829

Stefan Jeglinski
1)
It was quite a while ago. I read a piece probably in Sci American, about a person who made a particular kind of kinetic garden sculpture - I fancy that an example sat or sits on the campus of the Mercedes headquarters....

Essentially it consists of three posts: a short fixed base pole five or six feet tall, and a second pole pivoted to it at about 1/4 of the 2nd poles length, and at its end, a third pole was pivoted, also counterbalanced for its 3/4 extension. The balance was achieved by lead weights.
A curious effect was obtained by setting the two pivot rods at 45 degrees to the horizontal
so that the two plain bearing tubes set in the posts were also set at 45 degrees to their long axes.

For the long posts, I used aluminum rain gutter tubes which I seem to recall were about 12 feet long each. the plain bearing tubes were provided with flanges to rivet them to the gutters, and the lead weights were bolted through. Provided the bearings provded a smooth, low friction joint, a modest breeze would set the thing into a curious, quasi chaotic motion which was attractive to watch.

2) I found the Cornell drive for the short (3m) foucault pendulum described in the Arxiv paper you mentioned above was a splendid piece of work, for anybody with any background at all in the elliptical ills of the short Foucault. Push mode seemed well described, well analyzed, and well depicted. Thanks

Brian W