Re: [Phys-l] Types of scalars

On 01/01/2011 10:37 PM, Scott Hill wrote:
I've been reflecting on fundamental mathematics that I gloss over in
my introductory physics classes, and it occurred to me that there are
actually three types of scalars that we use in introductory physics:

Only three? There are dozens of "types" of scalars in common use,
and literally an infinite number of less-common ones.
Integers
Non-negative integers
Positive integers
Odd integers
Even integers
Integers modulo 13
Infinitely many other finite rings and fields
Square numbers
Prime numbers
Perfect numbers
IEEE floating-point numbers
Rationals
Non-negative rationals
Positive rationals
Reals
Non-negative reals
Positive reals
Gaussian integers
Complex numbers
Infinitely many other extension fields
Gödel numbers of things that are true but cannot be proved.
... et cetera ..............................

1) Never-negative scalars, like mass or length or distance.
2) Scalars which can be negative, and the zero is significant: like
charge or flux or current, or changes in temperature, or vector
components.
3) Scalars which can be negative, and the zero is not significant:
like temperature (in Celsius) and potential energy.

I'm not so sure about item (3). I multiply Celsius temperatures
all the time. Sometimes I multiply them by 1.8 and then add 32.
Similarly I multiply energies all the time.

There is an interesting physical distinction between things that
are gauge invariant (e.g. classical potential energy) and things
that are not (e.g. number of apples in a basket) ... but this has
got nothing to do with "scalars" as you can see from the fact that
there are plenty of gauge-invariant vectors (e.g. position and
velocity).

Temperature is not gauge invariant, so it does not belong in the
same category as classical potential energy.

===============

I have my doubts about the whole approach. Sometimes it pays to
use the exact-right kind of number ... but sometimes it doesn't.
For example, in my book, gauge invariance is a property of the
thing being measured, not a property of the number itself.

To say the same thing another way, don't ask the number system to
do all the work for you. Sometimes you need to use adjectives or
even complete sentences to describe what you want the number to
mean.

The whole project becomes even more dubious when you realize that
there's not even a clear-cut distinction between scalars and non-
scalars; for instance a complex scalar can equally well be
considered a two-dimensional vector over the real number field.

More importantly, are there NAMES for these three categories?

1) There are positive numbers (and non-negative numbers) of
various kinds.

3) Certainly gauge invariance has a name, although it is not
conventional or helpful to define a whole new number system to
express gauge invariance.

They can be broken up even further if one has a mind:
1a) Quantities like mass or length or duration, which can be added and
subtracted directly.

Supplying units is formally equivalent to supplying basis vectors.
Technically you don't have scalars at all once you start doing this.
Example 5 apples plus 3 oranges is a vector in a two dimensional
space.

Too many categories may be more confusing than helpful, however.

Yup.