[Phys-l] What comes first, the equation or the explanation?

Hello,

I am very fortunate to have inquisitive and gifted students in Physics this year that are asking LOTS of questions. As we get ready for finals, the questions are getting more frequent and more detailed, but the one I got yesterday was a "stumper" that some of you might appreciate! At the end of asking his physics questions the student turned to me and asked one more: "Professor, when we ask you a question, do you see the formulas first and then create the explanation or get the explanation first and then see the related formulas?"

I stopped. I was befuddled, as I had never really thought of it before now. I thought my way through it to a vague answer (in my mind) that seemed to satisfy the student, but it has been running around in my head ever since. Now as I answer questions, I find myself also trying to pay attention to see 'what comes first, the equation or the explanation'. Of course the physicist in me also notes that because I am aware of it, I may be skewing my perceptions of which I do. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating idea...

Happy Holidays,
Peter