Re: [Phys-l] unusual areodynamics

_____

From: John Denker [mailto:jsd@av8n.com]
To: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]
Sent: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:25:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] unusual areodynamics

On 12/11/2011 09:35 PM, I wrote:
>> its power-to-weight ratio is greater than 1.

D'oh! That's not even dimensionally correct.
I should have said "thrust-to-weight ratio".
Sorry.
Oops! That makes two of us to miss that!

On 12/12/2011 05:23 AM, Josh Gates wrote:
> We could determine the power-to-weight by looking at the dip angle of
> the fuselage while it's flying with the wings oriented vertically.

No.

The weight is being supported mainly by the lift of the
*fuselage*.Very neat - so the lift generated by the fuselage is substantially greater than the lift generated by the tail? It seems like the torque generated by the tail's lift about the CM could be significant, even if the lift itself is small. The fuselage's lift would seem to have a pretty small or possibly zero moment arm about the CM, though, right?

Thanks,
jg